zondag 22 april 2012

The tanzanian economy - week 11 - Romina Vanhove

Hello everyone!

We are visiting Tanzania, like Anou and Anneleen already mentioned. Tanzania is one of the world’s poorest countries based on UN statistics of 2009.

When I was reading the travel guide, I was shocked to learn that almost 36% of the 43,188,000 inhabitants live under the international poverty line, that’s about 16,000,000 people. That’s more than the whole population of our own country. So you see why I found it shocking?

The travel guide mentioned that the economy of Tanzania is highly dependent on agricultural productivity. And that this productivity accounts for almost 85% of the total exports and employs. Although, not every place in Tanzania is suitable for agriculture, nearly 90% of the land is not useful. The most of the agriculture takes place in the coastal plains.

Of course as in every country Tanzania also has a small industrial sector, that basically comprises food processing plants. I thought I had seen on some products “made in Tanzania” so I asked our guide about it and she said that there are also some consumer goods manufactured in the country, but that this amount is very small.

But of course not everything in the Tanzanian economy is bad. After the year 2000 the country has started investing in the mining sector because Tanzania has large deposits of gold and natural gas. This is one of the biggest assets of the country. Hopefully they can increase their wealth thanks those products.

Well this was my last blogpost, I hope you’ve enjoyed our trip and my view on things. Next week we’re finally in Madagascar! I wonder if we will see suricates, and other animals out of the movie Madagascar! Thank you for following us, and don’t forget to read our last three blogs, that are written by Melisa, Roselinde and Julie!

With Love

Romina



Source: http://www.economywatch.com/world_economy/tanzania/

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten