zondag 11 maart 2012

The Politics of Hungary - week 4 - Julie De Vreese


Hello everyone,

Here we are again… So far this has been an amazing trip and I’m strongly thinking of doing something similar again next year ( that is if I can convince the group to join me of course J).

Now we have arrived in Hungary and the one thing we all agree on is that we just have to visit the capital, Budapest. So as we are on our way, I’m just taking a peek in one of our many travel guides to see what’s interesting in this country, and the first thing I come across, is the fact that Hungary has been through a big change regarding government and politics.
Hungarian Parliament in Budapest

When the Soviet Union fell, Hungary had been a communist country for almost 50 years. That has changed a lot by the 1990’s, when Hungary did some major modernisation regarding democracy. By the year 1989, Hungary had allowed a free election of government and they guaranteed freedom of speech for the entire population of Hungary. Now the Hungarian Parliament exists of 386 members, who are all elected by the public for a term of 4 years.


I’m just about to read a very interesting part, as we arrive at the capital Budapest. We decide to grab a bite first and then take a look around. As we are sitting down in a very cosy and charming little tea-room, I can’t resist. I take the travel guide and search the page where I stopped reading. Apparently Hungary has a rather unfamiliar system of election, they have two separate rounds of elections. They also don’t have a single party that rules in government. They prefer the form of alliances between some of the different political parties.

No matter how interesting the Political side of Hungary may be, my stomach is really starting to growl and our food is just being served, so I’m going to leave you guys and enjoy what looks like a fabulous meal. Ízletes (which means bon appetite J)

Read you later,

xXx Julie

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten