maandag 5 maart 2012

Week 2 - Politics of Poland Melisa Simoens


Hello everybody!

After a nice trip in Minsk we moved on to Poland. This week we are staying in Warsaw, the capital of Poland.  I will to tell you a bit more about the politics of this country. Before we got on the airplane, I bought a travel guide in a little shop at the airport. So while we were flying away from Minsk, I was already absorbed in the political situation of Poland.  Like Romina said that Belarus has a president, Poland has his own president too. In all the important buildings of Warsaw like for example the financial center and the Metropolitan, hangs a picture of Poland’s president,  Bronislaw Komorowski.

Poland had longtime no stable political situation. It has suffered longtime under the communist system of the Soviet Union and sometimes we noticed this influence on the country. A lot of the elderly people still look up to values which were typical for a communist society. I talked to an old Polish man about the political system and he said to me that not everything was bad about the communist system Poland had  until twenty years ago. He said that in former days the government took care for health care, house subsidies. Today there’s a lot of ignorance if the government can still guarantee these values. I was deeply impressed by this conversation because I always thought people in Poland were happy to be freed from the communists. However this conversation shows the other side of the mirror.

But maybe we can see Poland as a model for the world to change the political system in your country. While I was walking in a little bookshop I found an article in a newspaper. Because it was written in Polish, I asked the woman of the shop to explain what was told in the article. She said to me that Obama hails Poland as model of democracy and she was so proud when she said that.

I hope you learned a bit more about the political situation of Poland.  We still have a few days here in Poland and we are excited to discover more about this interesting city.

Talk to you soon!

-x Melisa x -








Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten